Article By: Lesya Li
Low self-esteem is like driving through life with your handbreak on. – Maxwell Maltz
There are tons of articles out there claiming capability to change your life for the better, but the truth is that it’s completely up to you. Or not. Let me paraphrase that. In order to change anything in your life you need to look up for your old limiting habits 1st. Yes, that’s right. Let me suggest to you the 1s I found helpful in my own self-esteem improvement:
(1) Decide & Do it Instantly: If you decided to go & try bungee jumping then go & do it as fast as you can before the voice of the 2nd thought tells you what you can or cannot do.
A real decision is measured by the fact that you’ve taken a new action. If there’s no action, you haven’t truly decided. – Tony Robbins
(2) New things to learn every day: Make it a habit! Choose a subject & learn something new every day step by step. From fun facts that you can share w/your friends to the art of making woollen pictures. Whatever you are into – don’t delay it – learn it now.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. – Mahatma Gandhi
(3) Make sure you get it right: If you are not sure about a subject – just ask for an explanation. Yes, I know, there are plenty of people out there who wouldn’t mind to rub it in your face that you don’t know something that may be obvious to them. So what?! Take a look at point 2 & get on w/it. Clarify. Learn new things no matter what others might think. You learn, you develop yourself as a person – that’s the only thing that matters.
Waiting is painful. Forgetting is painful. But not knowing which to do is the worse kind of suffering. – Paulo Coelho
(4) Shape it up: Ever wanted to try street dance, step, bikram yoga or any other fun active stuff? Do it now. You know better than me – a healthy body possesses a healthy soul. Beautiful reflection in the mirror is another self esteem booster that we cannot deny.
Physical fitness is not only 1 of the most important keys to a healthy body, it is the basis of dynamic & creative intellectual activity. – John F. Kennedy
(5) Walk w/style: If you are not happy w/your current style – change it. It’s a simple thing to do & is even a boost to the artistic part of your soul.
Fashions fade, style is eternal. – Yves Saint Laurent
In order to be irreplaceable 1 must always be different. – Coco Chanel
(6) The power of smile: Smile more often & stop being so hard on yourself & others around you! Shake the grumpiness away! It will never give you any self-esteem kick whatsoever. I promise. So again – be happy & smile as often as you possibly can 24/7.
Let us always meet each other w/a smile, for the smile is the beginning of love.- Mother Teresa
(7) STOP comparing: Or should I say NEVER compare yourself to anybody else. Yes, that is a hard pill to swallow but the only comparison that can be allowed to take place is the 1 where you compare yourself of today to yourself of yesterday!
When you stop comparing what is right here & now w/what you wish were, you can begin to enjoy what is.- Cheri Huber
(8) Not Guilty: As an example, if your friend blames you for breaking that old lamp on purpose – do not justify or look for lame reasons why you broke it. Tell the truth. You hated that lamp & it was time for it to go for good. Guilty look full of excuses for a justified act makes it unjustified.
Guilt has very quick ears to an accusation. – Henry Fielding
(9) Ideally NOT idealistic: There are no ideal & perfect things or people in this world so stop feeling bad about it. Forget what you did wrong & focus on what to do right in the future, or now! Be friendly to yourself & others & remember – no 1 is perfect.
Good friends, good books & a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.- Mark Twain
(10) Take initiative: Compare the overall # of times you say “Yes” & “No” to new experiences in your life. Analyse that #. Make a decision to change your life for the better by saying “Yes” more often.
Time is neutral & does not change things. W/courage & initiative, leaders change things. – Jesse Jackson
Initiative is doing the right things w/out being told.- Elbert Hubbard
View full article at: http://www.havingtime.com/10-simple-habits-to-improve-self-esteem/