Article By: Gregory L. Jantz, Ph.D.
Self-doubt can be a debilitating thought pattern that sabotages our chances for success. We all struggle w/self-doubt at some point, but learning to overcome it frees us from negative thinking & allows us to live to our fullest potential. Here are 7 techniques to help you live w/confidence:
(1) Find a mentor or someone who you can go to for advice (or venting). Your thoughts are racing. You want to let some of them go, but you don’t know who to talk to. Who do you seek out? Find that person who really listens to you, understands you, & helps to place your feet back on the ground, whether it be a therapist, parent figure, sibling, or trusted friend. They can help identify & challenge your unhealthy beliefs w/out passing judgment.
(2) Surround yourself w/real friends. You find yourself surrounded by a toxic group of friends. The environment is negative, competitive, & fake. They constantly try to bring you down to the level of their insecurities, & you are left w/nothing but self-doubt. Sometimes it takes having a group of bad friends to truly recognize the 1s who are good. Identify those friends who support you, advise you, & encourage you; the friends who think you are a star. Those friends are worth your time.
(3) Forgive yourself. Forgiving yourself is often harder than forgiving others. We constantly dwell on the times we failed or caused someone harm. We may play the victim & hold ourselves back from a life of betterment. Find that strength to overcome these shortcomings. Transfer the energy spent feeling guilt & self-criticism into the positive aspects of your life & move forward, bc self-compassion is allowed.
(4) Set reachable goals that you can accomplish. Your goals should be ever evolving & changing. Give yourself permission to try new things, but don’t be unrealistic. You need that feeling of purpose & accomplishment, & it often takes baby-steps to get there. Your long-term success & health will be dependent on setting manageable, immediate goals. And always remember to reward yourself even for the small things.
(5) Find your breath when you’re feeling overwhelmed. Seriously: Deep inhale, hard exhale. Life can become extremely overwhelming, & it is your job to mitigate the obstacles it throws your way. Deep breathing is an excellent daily habit to help reduce stress & self-doubt.
(6) Write it down. Write it all down. The therapeutic act of writing your thoughts—both positive & negative—will shed some light on what is really running through your mind. Take some time throughout the day to document everything from stress to accomplishment. If your negatives are overshadowing your greater positives, your journal will expose this. Be creative about how you document, but always speak the truth. A journal is an often-utilized therapeutic tool, but it can also be a good friend.
(7) Stop trying to make everyone else happy. You are caring, kind, & selfless, yet you are struggling to find your own happiness & esteem. Why? Bc you are wasting too much time making everyone else happy, & you have none left for yourself. Your happiness is placed in the hands of everyone else, & let’s face it: People are hard to please. The result: You feel extreme self-doubt. Respect yourself 1st, & you will be surprised at the results.
View full article at: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hope-relationships/201507/7-ways-beat-self-doubt